Monday, November 7, 2011

11/07/11

I’m baaaaaaaaak.
     After spending 11 fun filled and restful days and nights in the Caribbean we are back home and back to the simple life. I am going to try and give you a thumbnail sketch of our wonderful vacation. I’ll start with Monday the 24th, the day we left.
     11/24 It took us (Donna, Daniel, Billy and I) about 3 1/2 hours to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. When we got on the ship, the Zuiderdam, Holland America Line, we were a little disappointed in the accommodations, but before the end of the cruise we decided they were actually very good. Our rooms were not very cool and never did really reach a comfortable temperature during the day, but we spent most of the days in one of the cooler areas of the ship. Dinner was very good, better food than any of the other lines we have been on. Not that the other lines weren’t good, this was just a step above.
     I listened to music on my iPod before going to sleep, it was very relaxing. It was a great nights sleep. I miss my home routine of devotions and keeping God’s presence through my regular routine.
     11/25 We took tender’s to the Line’s private island, Half Moon Cay. As we pulled into the dock a little bird was chirping a pretty little song like a welcome to us. We found a beautiful shady spot with beach chairs and sat there for a long while. I was able to listen to my music and one of R. C.’s sermons. After a Bar-B-Q lunch we went back to the ship. Had dinner and then a good show from a impressionist. We played Wahoo in the Ledo restaurant, the girls won! Another great nights sleep.
     11/26 Day at sea. Had excellent dinner in Pennicle Grill, it was formal night.
     11/27 Went ashore in Aruba. I was going to keep the boycott for Natalie Holloway's mother and not spend any money in Aruba. It was too hot to even see much of it. Daniel and I went back to ship after about 30 minutes. I am enjoying each morning on our veranda reading Proverbs for the day and other Bible devotions I have   chosen. My ipod has been so handy to listen to music and   R. C.’s messages. All of us are taking a little nap every afternoon and really enjoying it. Saw the movie “Water For Elephants” in the Vista Lounge.
     11/28 Went to the second island in what is called the A B C islands. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We bought some souvenirs in a lovely little market. Once again it was too hot to enjoy a long visit to the island. We are getting too close to the equator for my comfort. Had a good comedian in the Vista Lounge tonight.
    11/29 Docked at the last island in the A B C chain, Curacao. This is the loveliest island we have seen. It had beautiful colors and architecture. Each house in the neighborhoods had to be painted a different color. We took a 2 hour bus tour of the island. Saw poisonous red frogs, and Iguana at a distillery.
     11/30  Day at sea. Over slept so we missed the Interdenominational service on ship. Billy and I had portraits made by an excellent photographer. We have all finally started having big breakfasts and very small lunches so we have room for one of the great dinners. Tonight it was shrimp cocktails and steak, mmmmmmmmmmmm.  
     Daniel had three shrimp cocktails, he loves shrimp. There was a steel drum band in the Vista Lounge. They were unbelievable! The audience went wild for them.
     I am going to retire for the night and finish bringing you up to date tomorrow. I hope this isn’t too boring for you. The trip was much more fun than the reading of this is. It was wonderful each day to get to listen to one of R. C.’s messages on my ipod. Bible reading on the veranda was a beautiful experience with the ocean all around me and sometimes the sun riding behind the clouds and making each one have a beautiful golden lining. It was just me and the whole ocean before me listening to beautiful music and reading the beautiful Word of God. Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment