Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hello again, dear Friends,
    I’m back, because the Merkel Cell Carcinoma is back. This time it is on the left side of my neck under my ear. I felt something there over a month ago and it didn’t even occur to me that it could be MCC. Dr. Shellenberger was confident that he had gotten all of it in the surgery in October. I couldn’t tell if it was growing so I didn’t really think about it. I had a six month check up scheduled with Dr. Shellenberger in the latter part of May and thought it could wait till then. Early in April I received a letter from M. D. Andersen Cancer Center that Dr. S. was leaving on May 4th to begin a new work. I immediately called and had my appointment moved up to the 1st of May. That week I noticed that it was bigger than before so I called and had my appointment moved up to the 12th. I had to have a biopsy before seeing him and that was scheduled for the 9th. I saw Dr. S. on the 12th and knew the minute he stepped into the office that the MCC had returned. Dorean was there and also noticed how sad he was to report the news to me. He gave me a great big hug and the whole time he was talking to me he rubbed my arm.  He said he would work me in for surgery before he left and I was very thankful for that. I was scheduled for an ultrasound on the 17th and the pre op appointment on the 19th. Surgery is scheduled for the 23rd.
     I ask only for your prayers. I still have the same God I had the last time I went through this. He is still on His throne and still loves me as He always has. My faith and trust is in Him and my prayer again is for His will to be accomplished in me.
     When I woke up on the morning of the 12th a little song popped into my head. I think I  hadn’t sung or heard that song for 30 years. I was singing it to myself as I was getting ready for my appointment with Dr. S. Perhaps you are familiar with it too.
                                      
 He’s still working on me,
To make me what I ought to be.
It only took a week to make the Moon and Stars,
The Earth and the Sun and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be,
'Cause He’s still working on me.
There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don’t judge me yet, there’s as unfinished part.
But I’ll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master’s loving hands.
In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He’s the Potter, I’m the clay.

     It is just a cute little children’s song but it has such a powerful message and it has been a   comfort to me through these days. I never would have thought as I sang that when I was a child that it would someday define me at this age. This new development is the Potter working on me, just a clay vessel. I was refined through my last time with cancer, but apparently I need more refining and I am prepared for it. I still have the whole armor I spoke about in my blog (refer to blogs of 10/12/11 or 10/23/11) and I still have the same wonderful God.
     I will close today with a few words from King David that spoke so beautifully to me.

Psalm71:14-21
“...I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.
My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for        I know not the numbers thereof.

I will go in the strength of the Lord God: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.
O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.

Now also when I am old and grey headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.”



Psalm 9:1-2

“I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.

I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

      I know some said they had trouble contacting me through the blog, but I really want to hear from you so contact me through email angel8mmj@gmail.com ( that is an l not a “one” in angel)

Love to you all and God’s blessings,

 Mary Margaret (Tootsie to you old folks who remember me when . . .)



The big "C" in me is Christ enabling me to deal with the little "c" which is the cancer!.



This is how a dear friend of mine, Ann Towers, ended her emails since she began battling   cancer almost a year ago. I know she won’t mind me using it.







   


1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you were there (you probably were!), but we sang that song at my kindergarten graduation, back in 1988! Even 24 years later, it's weird to think that He's still working on me just as much as he was when I was six years old.

    You're going to get through this...you still have the best support system around, and you're still one of the strongest people I've ever known!

    Love you a whole lot!!!

    ReplyDelete