Monday, June 4, 2012

June 3, 2012
     Big day today! It was a big step towards starting the radiation treatments. The P.E.T. scan was much like a regular open M.R.I.  It went smoothly except for one part. That was finding a vein, among my crazy veins, that they could put the IV in. One nurse, Daniel, looked for about 15 minutes and thought he had found a vein that would work, but when the needle went it he couldn’t hit the vein. He finally gave up and went to get someone else. The fellow he brought in just happened to be the same one that assisted the doctor when I got the 4 radiation shots in my cheek when I had my first surgery. He remembered me, I don’t know if that was good or not. His name is Chris and he had to work at it for awhile but finally found a vein that he thought would work and he went right in. Thank goodness! It took 2 sticks and 35 minutes but we were finally ready for the glucose and radiation. They started the glucose drip first then   injected the radiation very slowly so it didn’t burn like when they shot it directly into my cheek. I told Chris I would ask for him when I come back in 3 months to do the test again. He is very nice, as they all were. I lay in the “Isolation Room” for 1 hour so the cocktail could get through my body. I was able to read on my Kindle so that wasn’t so bad. At the end of the hour I walked across the hall and got on the table of the x-ray machine. It looked like a big doughnut with a flat bed attached. Not a very imposing machine. My first session was 30   minutes then I turned around and they x-rayed my legs. It was a full body scan and I believe they got it all. The second session took only 8 minutes. I felt fine through the whole thing., no big deal. If we can just get the IV part down right it will be a breeze. All in all it took 4 hours for the whole process.
     Billy and I went out to First Watch for brunch. I was plenty hungry by then. We spend the rest of the afternoon doing errands and came home very tired.
     As I was in the machine for the 30 minute test I wondered how I could make the time pass quicker. They had a CD of piano music playing which was very boring (I’m bringing my own  CD next time.) I decided that this would be a good time to pray, which I did. I covered  a lot of ground in that 30 minutes. It was a wonderful time with the Lord and the time was passed before I realized it was over.
     Now I must wait until Wednesday to find out the results of what they found today. I feel at peace about whatever the news will be. It is all in God’s mighty and loving hands. I trust Him now as I have always trusted Him for whatever my needs are. He is faithful, always. Praise the Lord!
     Good night all. Good night to a beautiful day!
                                                                                                                           
     Mary Margaret
The big "C" in me is Christ enabling me to deal with the little "c" which is the cancer!
Don’t forget to E-mail me . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment